Nationally recognised Units of Competency
- 10685NAT Course in safe handling of sharps and infectious waste
- SAFSIW0001A Remove sharps and infectious waste safely
A nationally recognised Statement of Attainment will be emailed to participants deemed competent at the conclusion of the course.
Course Outcomes include
This course provides participants with the skills and knowledge required to safely identify and handle sharps and infectious waste. It also requires the ability to implement controls for potential hazards related to sharps and infectious waste.
This course applies to all workers, volunteers or community members who may be required to manage an area in which sharps or infectious waste is present.
- Identify types of sharps and infectious waste
- Identify existing and potential hazards
- Implement risk controls consistent with workplace policies and procedures
- Identify and implement safe removal methods for sharps and infectious waste
Course covers applied safe working procedures for the following:
- safe disposal of sharps
- safe disposal of infectious waste
- identify potential and existing hazards to self and others
- provide appropriate treatment for needle stick injury or body fluid exposure
- apply personal protective equipment to safely remove sharps
- identify, locate and transport prevention and removal equipment
- undertake risk assessment
- implement control measures
- remove sharps using authorised equipment
- clear work area and use appropriate disposal methods for infectious waste
- remove, clean and store equipment
Participants must have:
- the capability to meet the demands of the practical demonstration skills
Our website has a comprehensive range of information that will help you make an informed decision regarding the training we provide. Please refer to the Student Handbook for general information regarding your rights and responsibilities when we provide training to you.
Unique Student Identifier
If you are undertaking nationally recognised training you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). It is free and easy for you to create your own USI online. By law, training organisations can only issue your certificate once they have received your USI. Please visit https://www.usi.gov.au/ to create your USI.